Saturday, September 12, 2009

Quilting and Caulking

Eric has been working on a quilt since the summer of 2008. He didn't have any homework for the summer and he was feeling the need to be creative. Video games just weren't cutting it. He had an idea of wanting to make a quilt with a five pointed star but he couldn't find a pattern. So a lady he worked with at Deseret Book named Debbie told him she would design the pattern for him on her quilting program. So she has been great to help him along the way. He worked on it for the summer, a little at Christmas break, and finally finished the queen sized quilt in July. Debbie was so proud of Eric that she machine quilted it and did the binding for him!! It is awesome and is for display only. :) I didn't help him at all except for some unpicking.

It is AMAZING and I am so proud of him. I'm just glad one of us is creative because I am not.

As for me, I decided to try something new also. On July 24, 2009 I had work off for Pioneer Day. So I decided to do some manual work with my hands like the pioneers used to and recaulk the bathtub. I watched a video online and got all the tools I needed including the As Seen On TV caulking tools. Here are some before and after pics.
Before


After




I'm really proud of myself and I didn't let Eric help me at all. It only took me 3 hours! :) The hardest part was pulling the old, moldy caulking off. It was worth it though.

5 comments:

Casie said...

Sweet! Come do that to my shower, will ya? And Eric, that's SO awesome that you made a quilt, congrats!

Megan said...

This post makes me laugh! Who would have thought Eric would be the quilter and you the handyman?! What a good team you are!

Mudrow Memories said...

I love the role reversing, great job! To bad you didn't invite me over to watch you recaulk the bathroom....I wonder if it would have been as fun as watching you clean it!

Rappleye Family said...

I am impressed with your CAULKING SKILLS! Who knew? Maybe you were born to Caulk!

Delys said...

Hey Kassi! What would it take to get you to fly out to Boston and do some caulking in our bathroom? I don't know if you'll even see this since you seem to get on your blog never, but I'm coming to UT for a few weeks in May so we should eat Cafe Rio or play guitar hero or something :) Oh and if you ever do want to come to Boston, you could stay with us whether you caulked the bathroom or not... ~Delys